One of the Most Historic Buildings
in Winnsboro, South Carolina...
The Cornwallis House was the headquarters for the British General Charles Cornwallis during the "Winter of discontent". It is located across the street from the Mt. Zion Institute, the only remaining campus- aside from William and Mary - occupied by the opposing armies of two American wars: Lord Cornwallis' troops during the Revolution, and Union troops during the Civil War.
The original portion of the house was built prior to 1776 on a lot shaded with large oak and pecan trees. It was two stories high, framed wth oversized timber, joined with mortises and pegs. The walls were constructed of heavy masonry (measuring 2 ft thick!), coated in hard plaster. A wing and third floor were added after the Revolutionary War.
(Click on the menu above)